Students beat the winter weather with fun in the game room

Rodolpho Camargo

Ryan Tipker, ‘18, aims the cue during a daytime visit to the game room. Pool is one of the most popular games amongst students and faculty alike.

When the wind blows outside and walking around campus becomes no fun at all, the game room is a inviting place. Students can escape from both the low temperatures and the busy coursework they face.

Although Bryn Wallnau, ’18, and James Rynes, ’15, do not go there very often, they do like playing basketball. “We just literally started those games two days ago,” said Rynes. As they play and we talk about the options the game room has to offer, Wallnau agrees about their favorite game: “Basketball, for sure.” They have been there only a few times, but they also enjoy ping-pong and air hockey.

While some students keep score and compete against each other, Wallnau and Rynes play as partners. “Usually we try to beat the record,” said Wallnau. They both like the atmosphere and Wallnau herself has already rented several movies since the beginning of the semester.

Students can find a basketball game, pool table, ping-pong and a Wii gaming station in the game room.
Rodolpho Camargo

However, there would be no movie-renting or basketball-playing without the people who work there. Morgan Hazzard, ’18, is one of them. She has worked at the game room since last semester and according to her, besides the students playing, “events are held by clubs here all the time.” However, they face some frequent problems, such as movies getting scratched and their racing arcade machine being frequently down. However, “they try to get them fixed as soon as they get broken”. According to Hazzard, the new movies are the top rented DVDs.