Disturbing Facebook posts lead to campus wide email

This story has been updated since its original post: Last update: 12:22 a.m. 

Dean of Students Joseph DiChristina sent out a campus wide email tonight addressing concerns about a former Allegheny student’s disturbing posts on his Facebook page. According to DiChristina, the family has been notified and the situation is under control.

As of an email sent 11:53 p.m. on Nov. 23, the student is in custody and in the proper authorities.

“The police and other authorities have responded to a complex situation and have assured me that we are safe,” DiChristina wrote in an updated email.

DiChristina has been in contact with the Erie police department throughout the night, according to his first email sent at 9:54 p.m.

“Authorities in his hometown are on site and currently working with the former student and are in control of the situation,” DiChristina wrote in the first email.

Safety and Security could not comment on the matter at this time.

The college has informed the local authorities. Meadville police have agreed to assist if need be.

“I appreciate the information shared by students tonight,” DiChristina wrote. “If there is a change in the status of the situation then I will alert the community.”

Safety and Security can be reached at 814-332-3357.   

The original email can be found here:

On Sunday evening a former Allegheny student posted disturbing messages on his Facebook site. We have contacted his family. Authorities in his hometown are on site and currently working with the former student and are in control of the situation. We are in contact with the authorities and have shared the postings. The authorities will keep us fully informed of the situation. Allegheny Safety and Security personnel have spoken to the Meadville Police in the event we need their assistance.

I appreciate the information shared by students tonight. If there is a change in the status of the situation then I will alert the community.

If you feel that you need support tonight then please call Safety and Security at 332-3357.

Thank you

Joe DiChristina

Dean of Students